Ingredients – Serves 4
- 250 grms of pumpkin – skin removed and finely diced
- 2 small red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 largish aubergine – peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium sized courgette – finely diced
- 4 ripe, preferably, plum tomatoes – peeled and roughly chopped (to peel, cut a small cross in both ends and leave in boiled water for 5 mins. Cool under cold running water and the skin should come off easily)
- Virgin Extra olive oi
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of good salt
- Place the diced aubergine in a colander and sprinkle with salt, leave for about 30 mins, then rinse quickly and dry well.
- Heat a generous slug of Virgin Extra olive oil in a wide-based pan, that has a lid.
- Gently fry the garlic, when it begins to soften add the onion and leave to cook gently until transparent, beginning to caramelize.
- Add the pumpkin and aubergine to the pan, mixing well- cover and leave to cook gently until beginning to soften.
- Add the courgette, tomato and paprika mixing well – cover and let simmer gently until all the ingredients have softened and the sauce is beginning to thicken.
- Add the salt and vinegar and let simmer uncovered a further 5 minutes.
It can be served hot or at room temperature.