- 500 grams fresh tuna or bonito
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped roast red pepper
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 250 ml of fresh tomato sauce, or a good quality tinned sauce can be used
- Virgin extra olive oil for shallow frying the sausages
- Gently fry the onion, garlic in a small amount of the oil until it has softened and begins to turn golden. Remove from the pan, keeping the oil for the next stage.
- Finely chop the fish and mix with the onion, garlic, red pepper, 1 beaten egg, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper until you have a firm mixture that holds together.
- Shape into sausages – approx 15 cm long and 5 cm diameter. Dip in the remaining beaten egg and then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Lightly brown the sausages in the oil, then add the tomato sauce and leave to simmer in the covered pan, gently for approximately 40 minutes. If it begins to look dry add a small amount of water.
- Serves sliced with white rice or vegetable – This does freeze well.