Ingredients (for two as a side dish or starter)
- 1 large aubergine cut into 1 cm slices.
- 1 egg beaten
- Breadcrumbs or chick-pea flour
- One slice of soft goats cheese per slice of aubergine
- Runny honey
- Dip the aubergine slices in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs or chickpea flour (both work equally well) ensuring to cover well.
- Heat some sunflower or light olive oil in a pan – sufficient for shallow frying. It is hot enough when a small piece of bread sinks and immediately rises to the surface. It should not be smoking.
- Fry the aubergine slices on both sides until golden brown, remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Place the slices of aubergine onto a baking tray with a slice of cheese topped with an almond on each and grill for a 3-4 minutes under a preheated grill.
- Drizzle with honey and serve immediately with a few green leaves on the side.